Wednesday, June 01, 2005

This Week's Workout (5/23/05 -5/29/05)

This was a pretty good week for working out. In seven days I managed to squeeze in 5 workouts. My journaling has gotten a little better, but it's not back to where it needs to be. So without further delay...

Monday, May 23rd, 2005
Workout - Good

The weather was kind of gloomy, so I decided to take a spinning class. This was probably the most annoying class I've ever taken at WSC. Not only was the instructor annoying, so was the music and the other students who were regulars in this class. The volume was way to loud, so I could barely hear what the instructor was saying and it was like he didn't have a very structured routine. But I will give him credit for teaching a spinning class wearing a neck brace.

Tuesday, May 24th, 2005
Workout - Good Plus

Since the weather was still gloomy, I went to Georgetown and ran on the treadmill. I decided that it was time to increase my pace from 4.5min/mile to 4.7min/mile. For the most part, I did pretty well. I ran a mile in exactly 13 minutes and continued running until I got tired and took a short walk. When I started running again, I planned to push myself at this pace to reach a total of 45 minutes, but I accidentally hit the stop button at 35 minutes and decided to call it quits.

Wednesday, May 25th, 2005
Workout - None

I went to WW to weigh-in. I was down 2.2lbs for a total weight loss of 26.4lbs! Yeah!!! But It's been 3 weeks since my last weigh-in and 2.2lbs is not a big loss which means I need to get back to journaling.

Thursday, May 26th, 2005
Workout - OK

The weather got better, so I did my regular weekly run down the Crescent Trail and back. I started with 4/1 intervals, but I wasn't inspired to stick w/ that pace, so I switched to 2/1 intervals. I noticed that I run more consistently on the way back. I guess my system is all warmed up and ready to work by this time.

Friday, May 27th, 2005
Workout - Easy

Little did I know that Step class was cancelled because of the holiday weekend. So, instead of taking Johnny Terrific's step class, I did 30 minutes on the recumbent bike and finished w/ lots of ab work. Whenever I go to this gym in Dupont Circle I see a lot of trainers working w/ their clients. They seem to be working them really hard during these sessions, so maybe when DC Fit ends I'll look into setting up sessions w/ a trainer. I don't want my fitness to back slide after DC Fit ends in October and the race in January.

Saturday, May 28th, 2005
Workout - Terrific, but tough

Today was the 6.0 mile long run w/ DC Fit. We started at the Pentagon, ran through Iwo Jima, then Rosslyn, across the Key Bridge, through Georgetown, along the waterfront, across the Memorial bridge and back to the Pentagon. Because of the distance (and the fact that I didn't know where we were going), I was determined to keep up w/ my group and not fall into that trap of burning all my energy at the start and having nothing left at the end. We did 4/1 intervals and I was fine for probably the first 4.0 miles. I chatted w/ a few people during the walks, but for the most part I ran in silence. Somewhere between mile 4 and 5 I started to get bored. I wasn't physically tired of running, but I was just tired of doing it. This feeling is kind of hard to explain, but I couldn't wait to be finished. Then right before this feeling of boredom set in I started feeling nauseous, but I think it was because of the stuff I was drinking or not drinking. It's hard to say. I had been drinking Propel Fitness water and the sweetness was unsettling after a while so I stopped drinking it. But the feeling came and went in one or two intervals. By the last mile I slowed down and broke off from the group because I pulled a calf muscle coming down a long set of steps near the Memorial bridge. The pain was slightly noticeable, but I knew the rest of the course and was proud of the fact that I stuck w/ my group that far so I backed off and finished 3 minutes behind them. All-in-all it was a pretty good run.

Sunday, May 29th, 2005
Workout - None

This is a mandatory rest day. So, I sat on the couch for the greater part of the day working on a project for school. Then I drove 2 hours into the country to have dinner w/ my friends Richie and Dan who is moving back to San Diego next month. He said something about not liking the cold weather. I'm thinking people from California are really wimps when it comes to cold weather. I don't feel one can truly appreciate the summer until they've survived the winter.

Well, that about wraps it up for this week.

As for next week...
Here is my tentative schedule for next week. Since it's already Wednesday, I don't have to decide what I'm going to do for the first 3 days.

5/30 - Happy Memorial Day - Rest
5/31 - Run/Walk 4.0 - 5.0 miles
6/1 - Step Class
6/2 - Run/Walk 4.0 - 5.0 miles (or Weigh In)
6/3 - Step Class
6/4 - Race for the Cure 5K
6/5 - Rest

Races I'm Registered (or Planning to Register) for...
6/4 - National Race for the Cure (Registered.)
9/11 - Fairlakes 8K (Registered. Kind of. I wrote a check, sealed the envelope and haven't mailed it yet.)
9/24 - Quantico Half (Maybe. The folks on my team were encouraging me to join them. But I really want Disney to be my first Half and not my Second Half. Hee Hee Hee.)
10/2 - Army 10 Miler (aka ATM. Registered. My chance to redeem myself with the The Vagas.)
10/16 - Oy Vay 10K (Not looking too good since I've registered for the ATM. I'm not super woman. A 10 Mile and a 10K back-to-back is crazy.)
10/30 - Marine Corps 8K (I called the guy about fund raising and he said there's nothing formal like they have for the MCM. So, out of laziness I decide not to go the fund raising route. But I may still run it for fun.)
And the big one...
1/7 - Walt Disney World Half Marathon (Registered.)

That about sums it up for this week. Stay tuned for next when our heroine brings you tales from her first 5K in 4 years!!!

- See Ya. Gotta Run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home